“Tom Gray and Mark Johnson are the rusty, banged up Cadillacs of the slide guitar, side by side coughing up smoke and spitting backwoods dirt, but unswerving in their precision and singular style.” — Tom Clarke, Hittin’ the Note
Delta Moon plays deep roots music. A whisky-flavored voice delivers 21st century lyrics, while two slide guitars wind around an unshakeable groove like kudzu vines on a barbwire fence.
- Delta Moon won the International Blues Challenge in Memphis in 2003.
- The Roots Music Association named lead vocalist Tom Gray Blues 2008 Songwriter of the Year. Tom is well known in the music industry as a songwriter, having penned, among many songs recorded by other artists, Cyndi Lauper’s hit “Money Changes Everything.”
- Delta Moon’s music has been featured on Showtime, Lifetime, the Food Network and more.
- Delta Moon tours extensively in the United States, Canada and Europe.
- Low Down, released in 2015, reached #2 on the Roots Music Report’s Contemporary Blues Chart and was named one of the Best Albums of 2015 by both DownBeat and Blues Music Magazine.
Delta Moon’s latest album, Cabbagetown — named for one of the band’s favorite Atlanta neighborhoods — came out in March 2017. The band has been touring incessantly behind it, visiting nine countries since spring, every night winning enthusiastic audience response. No Depression describes Cabbagetown as having “great grooves, thought provoking lyrics, infectious hooks, sweet slide guitar work and mountains of superb tone.”
It has been two decades now since Tom Gray walked into an Atlanta music store hoping to sell a 1930s Dobro. The owner said, “I don’t want it, but this guy might.” The guy was Mark Johnson. As they stepped out to Tom’s van to see the guitar, the girl with Mark kept whispering, “Let’s get out of here.” Mark didn’t buy the guitar, but the two exchanged phone numbers and soon were playing slide guitar together — Mark on bottleneck and Tom on lap steel — in clubs, coffee shops and barbecue joints around Atlanta. The name Delta Moon came to Mark on a pilgrimage to Muddy Waters’ cabin near Clarksdale, Mississippi. Delta Moon quickly gathered a wall-full of local “best” awards. After winning the International Blues Challenge in Memphis in 2003, the band widened its travels to include the US, Canada, and Europe. Bassist Franher Joseph joined Delta Moon in 2007, adding a sweet pocket and rich bass vocals.
“Delta Moon is deep blues with a fury…. Hot stuff!” — Vintage Guitar